Laurister Lafayette MARSHALL

Male 1839 - 1863  (24 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Laurister Lafayette MARSHALL 
    Nickname LL 
    Born 15 Mar 1839 
    Gender Male 
    _UID 0E6315EC184B0D42BF1ADF57572D5A081936 
    Died 2 Jul 1863  Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I136  Marshall and Allied Families
    Last Modified 27 Dec 2019 

    Father Richard MARSHALL,   b. 22 May 1801, Stokes County, North Carolina Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Aug 1866, Surry County, North Carolina Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 65 years) 
    Mother Suzannah SAMUEL,   b. 26 Apr 1803, Stokes County, North Carolina Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 25 Aug 1880, Surry County, North Carolina Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years) 
    Married 3 Oct 1821  Stokes County, North Carolina Find all individuals with events at this location 
    _UID C744B71986583F43A3E556D52BFEA22FE835 
    Family ID F45  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Marshall 0022 - Died during the Civil War in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

      His name might have been spelled Laurister. It appears that way on his Civil War records.

      The paragraph below came from a much longer Civil War Memoir of Wiley Ebeneezer Patterson. Wiley was the Orderly Sergeant, Company E, 53 Regiment of the North Carolina Volunteer Infantry Army of the Confederacy.

      The entire memoir appeared in four parts in the Journal of Surry County Genealogical Association, Spring - Winter, 2000. The paragraph below came from the first part, Spring, 2000.

      The person referred to is L. L. Marshall who is Laurister Lafayette Marshall, John Marion Marshall's brother and Samuel Edward Marshall's uncle. One of our cousins went to Gettysburg once and tried to find him in their registry, but his name was not there. In this case I believe the registry is wrong, because the source in unimpeachable.

      Also there is information below that positively links him to Gettysburg.
      "While laying there, a ball came through the fence, knocked off the entire top of William Adkin's head, went through L.L. Marshall, knocked him up in the air, landing him some thirty or forty feet to the rear. This was the worst mangled body that we saw and we have seen many. The same ball struck D. C. Reece; took a slice out of the calf of his leg; tipped the heel of Isaac Whitakerâ??s shoe, scared Jake Jessup almost to death and went into the ground in about a foot of our head, literally covering us with dirt, gravel, blood and brains. We never did get the blood and brains off our hat and clothing until we wore them out."

      The information below is from the website:

      United States, Civil War Soldiers Index for Laurister L. Marshall

      Name: Laurister L. Marshall
      Name Note:
      Also Known As:
      Also Known As Note:
      Event: Military Service
      Rank In: Private
      Rank In Note:
      Rank Out: Sergeant
      Rank Out Note:
      Side: Confederate
      Side Note:
      State (or Origin): North Carolina
      Military Unit: 53rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
      Military Unit Note:
      Company: E
      Company Note:
      General Note:
      NARA Publication Title: Index to Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations From the State of North Carolina.
      NARA Publication Number: M230
      NARA Roll Number: 25
      Film Number: 821792

      Information below is from the National Park Service Web Site.


      53rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

      OVERVIEW: 53rd Infantry Regiment completed its organization in April, 1862, at Camp Mangum, near Raleigh, North Carolina. The men were recruited in the following counties: Guilford, Mecklenburg, Chatham, Surry, Alamance, Stokes, Union, and Wilkes. It served in the Department of North Carolina, then was assigned to General Daniel's and Grimes' Brigade, Arm of Northern Virginia. The 53rd fought in many conflicts from Gettysburg to Cold Harbor, participated in all the battles in the Shenandoah Valley, and was active in the Appomattox Campaign. It lost thirty-six percent of the 322 engaged at Gettysburg, had 1 wounded at Bristoe and 2 killed at Mine Run. The unit surrendered 6 officers and 81 men. Its commanders were Colonels James T. Morehead and William A. Owens, and Majors James J. Iredell and John W. Rierson.
      SOLDIERS:View Regiment's Soldiers »

    • +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      The information below came from part one of a four part series from "The Journal of Surry County Genealogical Association," Spring 2000. (David W. Marshall, Sr.)


      The narrative which follows was written about 1897 by Wiley Ebenezer Patterson, Orderly Sergeant, Company E. 53rd Regiment, North Carolina Volunteer Infantry, Army of-the Confederacy.

      Born in Henry County, Virginia on November 23, 1843, the son of Rachel E. Ward and Julius E. Patterson he en¬listed in the army on March 27, 1862; was captured on March 20, 1865 and was released on June 16, 1865.

      In 1867 he married Margaret Sparger and fathered thirteen children, eight boys and five girls. He stayed in Mt. Airy and went into the tobacco business with a neighbor, R. J. Reynolds. They borrowed money to develop a machine to make cigarettes. Shortly after there was a bank panic, their loan was called in and they could not pay it and were forced into bankruptcy.

      Reynolds moved to Winston-Salem and resumed his to¬bacco business, Patterson stayed in Mt. Airy and paid off his indebtedness after which he moved down to Greensboro and went into the provision business.

      He died there on September 3, 1912 of cancer which probably was caused by the wound he received at Berryville.

      Wiley Ebenezer Patterson wrote this account of his experiences as a Confederate soldier in an old day book ledger which I found in my father's effects when he died. My father, Walter Hurley Patterson, was the tenth of thirteen Children. He died at Saranac Lake, New York on August 10, 1939.

      Signed by:

      James Patterson Hauser
      Pawling, New York
      February 1, 1995


      As many old veterans are telling their experiences in the late War Between the States, we will relate a few inci¬dents as we recall them. They may not be interesting to many, but they will, perhaps, give the reader some idea of a soldier's life in camp, on the march, and on the field of battle. We, being only a soldier in the ranks, will not attempt to give anything official or to tell anything about what the big officers did, but will give it as a soldier saw it at the time (and should we use the pronoun "I" too fully, we hope that the reader will remember that we are giving only our own personal experience). Of course, many dates will be left out and many incidents will be left unmentioned that might be referred to but for the fact that our memory is dimmed by time, as it has been thirty-five years since our life as a soldier began.

      As we were travelling in South Carolina and Georgia at the time, we will pass over the election of Lincoln and the secession of the States and will come up to March 1862. On our return from a trip to Augusta, Georgia we learned that there would be a battalion muster at Mr. Evan Davis' about seven miles below Mt. Airy. We had just become a member of a militia company. We met on the morning of the twenty- seventh of March, formed the battalion, marched and counter¬marched. There had to be a certain number of men from each company raised for the army. If they did not volunteer, they were to be drafted. Most of the companies raised their quota by volunteers, but some companies had to run a draft. Our company raised her quota by volunteers and was organized and known as the Farmer Boys.

      We elected James G. Norman, Captain; H. D. Hill, 1st; Samuel Walker, 2nd; Henry Hines, 3rd Lieuts. We then knocked around home until sometime in April. We drew $50. as State Bounty*1. We then started to the front. There was a big dinner spread at Warhill, some ten miles below Mt. Airy. Then began the march to the railroad, stopping the first night at Mr. James Pace's near Pilot Mountain, about where the town of Pinnacle now stands. The next night we spent at Winston where our officers got their uniforms, then on to High Point where we spent the next night and many of the boys saw their first railroad train.

      We left there next morning on the train and landed in Raleigh in due time. Went into camp at Camp Mangum, drilled for some time and organized the 53rd Regiment, N.C.V.I. by electing W. A. Owen of Charlotte, Colonel; J. T. Morehead of Greensboro, Lt. Colonel, and James J. Iredell, Major.

      During the summer we were moved to Garysburg, N.C. to drill and to guard the railroad bridge across the Roanoke River.* Here, while making the guard rounds one night, we came across Dan Reese asleep at post. We had a little fun at his expense--passed on and did not report him.

      From here we were moved to Virginia to .take part in the Seven Days' fight then going on. We were marched out near Bermuda Hundreds, but were not actually engaged in the fight* We went into camp near Durey's Bluff for a few days and then marched back to Petersburg. Went into camp at Mechanicsville Factory. Here I was taken down with typhoid fever and was sent to First North Carolina Hospital at Petersburg.

      I stayed here only about two weeks when I asked for a discharge and rejoined the Regiment then camped at Weldon, N.C. I expected to get a furlough, but the Regiment got marching orders next morning so I was sent on to hospital at Wilson. I stayed there but a short time. When I next found the Regiment, it was camped near Durey's Bluff. However, I was soon ordered to make a raid down on Black Water in Virginia. As I was pronounced unfit for duty; I was left in camp which was turned over to Lt. Hill and ourselves to take care of. We had a very good time of it.

      After the return of the Regiment, we stayed here and drilled until the weather got cold. We then went over on Proctor's Creek and built winter quarters. Just about the time we had got settled, as we thought for the winter, we were ordered to Goldsboro, N.C. where there was a little fight going on.

      As our engine was old and rather disabled and our engineer was somewhat afraid of Yankees, we did not get there until the fight was over. We went into camp near Goldsboro and had a very flood time foraging around for roasting potatoes and corn.*4

      There came a snow about the same time we got marching orders. We struck out for Kinston through the snow. Stopped for the night in the woods where we had no camp equipage whatever. Hill and myself sent Joseph Coffle to a field and got a turn of fodder that we spread on some rails and made our bed on it. We went into camp near Kinston and spent some time in marching towards New Bern and back, wading swamps and so forth. We had some skirmishing, but no battle worth naming. Went over to Washington and made the Yankees think that we had come for a fight. Here we had our first real experience on picket duty.

      There was a very straight road thrown up through the swamp. It lead from town, which was occupied by the Yankees, to our works a distance of about a mile. Some boys from Wilk's Company had gone up the road just after dark. They heard something in the water which they thought was Yanks trying to flank them. They came running back and reported that the Yanks were coming. We were all thrown into line of battle and after waiting some time, Captain Hill took ten of his men and went to see about it. After going about half way,. we learned that it was some cattle that had alarmed the Wilk's boys, We were ordered to take a man and post him as vidette. We took W. H. Goings and after going some distance, we asked him how much farther he would go. as far as we would. We went on very easy, however, until we could hear them walk. We stopped and listened--could hear them spit on the ground very plainly. We kept our vidette here until just before day and then withdrew him. Fell back from here to Greenville where we were put with 'Lieutenant Alexander in charge of the Provost Guard of the town and we had quite a good time of it.

      We finally got back to camp at Kinston. Here we drilled and did all kinds of mischief that soldiers are liable to do. We were often kept out all night wading swamps and running in Yankee pickets. We were marched out one day and saw 22 men hung. They were North Carolinians who had joined the Yankees and had been captured by us. We called them "Buffalos".*5 While here, we were under the command of Generals D. H. Hill, Pettigrew, Daniels and others.

      In the early spring we were ordered to Virginia where the Battle of Chancellorsville was in progress. We did not reach Richmond in time to take part in this battle. We went into camp at old Camp Lee for a few days; then went on to camp near Fredericksburg. Here General Lee had a Grand Review of the Army. It had been re-organized into 3 army corps.

      General A. P. Hill was placed in command of the First; R. S. Ewell the Second; General Longstreet the Third. We were in the Second Army Corps, Rhodes' Division, Daniel's Brigade.*6 R. E. Rhodes had just been promoted from Brigadier to Major General and well he deserved the honor as we afterwards learned.

      We soon struck out on the ever memorable march to Pennsylvania. We will pass over many of the events of that long march--how we waded the Potomac River and marched day after day barefooted and how we captured horses, cattle, sheep, etc. We will, however, give just a few incidents.

      When we were getting just about to Berryville (we were on rear guard and barefooted) the command wad quickly thrown into line of battle. The Major ordered us to take charge of other barefoot guards and some men that we had under guard for desertion and to stop in a certain grove and to wait until he sent for us.

      We soon heard firing and then all was quiet. Then we saw parties returning who told us that the fight was over and that the army had moved on, but still no orders came to us. We spent the night in the grove and concluded that we had been forgotten and that we had better move on, so we went to Berryville where we learned that part of the troops had gone in the direction of Martinsburg and part had taken the road to Charlestown, but no one could tell us which route Rhode's division had taken.

      We went back to camp in the grove, resolved to obey orders--- staying until sent for if it took all summer. About the middle of the day we saw Captain William Hill riding along the road and we hailed him. He said that Colonel Owen had sent him for us and to take our time and overtake the Regiment when we could and if any of our prisoners gave us any trouble to shoot them down and come on.

      Just as we had passed through town we were met by citizens who informed us that the Yanks were in the road just ahead of us and tried to get us to turn back; said that we were sure to be captured. As we had set in to obey orders, we moved on expecting to meet the Yankee cavalry at every turn of the road. We passed where they had run into our wagon train, but did not see a single Yank.

      Late in the evening we saw a carriage drive into the road in front of us and stop. When we came up, a lady called to us and said that she had something for us to eat, if we would accept. As we were not then in a refusing mood, we stopped. She had seen us pass a point some miles back and said she thought we looked hungry and had taken nearer cuts through the fields by her home and come out ahead of us with a large basket well filled with things good. We then thought she was the kindest lady we ever saw for we had begun to feel the want of rations.

      We did not overtake our command that night so we took up camp in a skirt of woods near Bunker Hill. As we were all so very tired, we did not post any guard that night, but told the men that if any of the prisoners started off, to shoot them. Next morning we awoke just in time to see William Hicks before he got out of sight. He heard us stir, turned, came back and said that he had not started to leave us, no how! We soon overtook the command and turned our prisoners over to Colonel Owen all right.

      We got hold of an old sheepskin that Isaac Whitaker had thrown away. We cut it in two and tied our feet up in it, the wool side out. The boys said that my track looked like an elephant's track, but we got along all right with them until we got to Pennsylvania where we got us a pair of Yankee shoes.

      When near a little town in Pennsylvania, the name of which we have forgotten, we were sent out on picket some distance from the main line of march. There had been some runaway negroes living near where we stopped. They had fled at our appearance and left a barrel of flour. We with Thos. J. Tilly and Wm. Gardiner got some of the flour and carried it to a large brick house nearby to get them to make us some bread. A young lady pro¬posed making our bread for us. She drew us into conversation about the country. Finding that we thought it a very fine section, she asked us how we would like to live there. She said she would take special care of us and would see that we did not want for anything and if the Johnnies should return she would hide us where they could not find us. We told her we would not quit the army without an honorable discharge nor could we take the oath of allegiance to the U.S., she gave us up as a bad case, gave us our bread and we went on our way.

      The day that we reached Carlisle, our Regt. was the advance Regt. of the army. We had with us a smart Alec kind of fellow who was always meddling with everybody else's affairs. We had a few words as we marched along. We crossed the road and spoke to Captain Hill. He wanted to know what we said to the Captain. We told him that we had told the Captain that we intended to whip him that night as soon as we got to camp. He said that we had better do it then. We told him that we believed we would and proceeded to knock him down and fell to thrashing him right then and there. The Major came rushing up with the guard and ordered us both arrested. The Captain would not suffer them to arrest me. They took my opponent and kept him all night and next day stood him with his back to the fence with his arms around the top rail for two hours.

      Captain S. B. Taylor gave us all the tobacco we wanted for that job. We spent the night as Provost Guard in the town of Carlisle. The citizens treated us very kindly. They would prepare meals for us and show other evidences of kindness. We got us a nice new hat there.

      We left here for Gettysburg where we entered into the never¬to-be-forgotten Battle. As this was our first regular engagement, we hardly knew how to behave ourselves. The first thing we noticed being struck was a large hog that was feeding nearby. It cut a terrible shine, turning around several times and squealing awfully. Then Capt. Miller of Wilks County was killed, then our Lieutenant Thomas Tilley and many other brave men fell.

      It was here that we got our first wound. While lying down trying our very best to lay in the ground regardless of our new hat, a ball came along, tipped Lieut. Beamis's hat and hit us plumb on the rump. It sounded like as if you had hit something with a board and hurt, as we thought then, awful bad. Beam asked me if I was hurt much. told him that I was hurt, but could not tell how bad. Asked him to look and see if he saw any blood. He said he did not. We then felt and finding no hole, not even in our pants, we concluded that the ball had not gone entirely through us and felt much better and when the order to go forward came, we forgot all about it.

      General Iverson's Brigade had just been badly cut to pieces (so much so that we heard no more of Iverson's Brigade). We were ordered to charge at the same place where they had fallen. As we were new at the business, we raised a yell and went at them as hard as we could run. The Yankees, seeing that we had no more sense than to run right over them, took to their heels and ran like good fellows. We ran them until ordered to stop. Some of us did not stop even then. William Adkins, George Marler and the writer kept on until we overtook a batch of Yanks, captured and brought them back. The Colonel threatened to cashier Adkins for disobedience of orders. We slept that night on the battle field with the dead all around us. We got clothes, gum coats and such things as a soldier usually carries, in abundance. for the Yanks were well loaded.

      We have often thought of a hasty action of ours that evening We stepped into a blacksmith's shop in the suburbs of town where there were some wounded Yanks and saw a nice new tin cup sitting on the anvil bench, and as we thought, full of water. We thought we had need of just about such a cup, we picked it up and gave the contents a dash. Just as we did so it occurred to us that maybe it was not water. we put the cup to our nose and OH!, sad to relate it was whiskey, and we only got a smell---so near and yet so far. We were certain that we could have applied it differently if we had thought in time.

      We exchanged our old musket off for a nice new Enfield rifle and we think that the rest of the boys did the same as we were a armed with muskets at the beginning and with rifles at the close of the battle.

      Next morning the sun rose bright and clear and we did not move off at once so we thought that we would look around a little. We went into town and stepped into a store where some of the boys were drawing molasses and, as we like molasses. tolerable well, we got a water bucket and drew it full and struck out for our company. When we reached the place where we had left them, they had gone and our new gum cloth was also missing. We soon caught up with them, found our gum cloth around the neck of another fellow and proceeded to take it off.

      We moved across the railroad up on a ridge behind a large brick building and lay down. We thought that we would like to see what was in that house so we went in. The people had left rather hurriedly we guessed. Things were scattered pretty well all over the floors - fine dressings, etc. There was a very fine piano that the boys were overhauling to see how it was made. We went up into the upper rooms and found more books than we had ever met in one house before, but they were all of the same kind and did not appear to be very interesting. About this time Lieut N. G. Smith came up and we made some remark to him about the book he replied that from the way things were going on the outside. we would not have much use for books. We went out and found that our Company had moved again and that one corner of the house had been shot away while we were inside. We rejoined our Company and found them supporting a battery and one of the heaviest artillery duels going on that had ever been known to us.

      While laying there, a ball came through the fence, knocked off the entire top of William Adkin's head, WENT THROUGH L.L. MARSHALL, KNOCKED HIM UP IN THE AIR, LANDING HIM SOME THIRTY OR FORTY FEET TO THE REAR. This was the worst mangled body that we saw and we have seen many. The same ball struck D. C. Reece; took a slice out of the calf of his leg; tipped the heel of Isaac Whitaker's shoe, scared Jake Jessup almost to death and went into the ground in about a foot of our head, literally covering us with dirt, gravel, blood and brains. We never did get the blood and brains off our hat and clothing until we wore them out.

      About dusk we were ordered to advance. We moved forward very slowly and silently; were ordered not to speak above a whisper. After going some distance, we halted, lay down a while, then fell back as silently as we had come, but some faster. We crossed the railroad, stopped near an old lime kiln and rested on our arms the remainder of the night. The next morning we moved over to the left across a small stream and were ordered to charge which we did up a rather steep rocky hill. We failed to carry our point and were ordered to cease firing.

      We were, near a small hickory tree, about the size of a man's thigh. We stepped behind it and while' we were there the tree was struck with several balls. We saw a man lay down, reach out and get a flat rock a little larger than a man's head, stand it in front of his head. He had hardly got it there before a ball struck the rock a center shot. Had the rock not been there, the ball would have hit him on the top of his head and, of course, killed him instantly.

      We made another attempt to charge, but with no better success than before. We then fell back behind a small ridge where the balls all passed over our heads; still the boys would dodge all the same. Seeing all this, a spirit of mischief got hold of us and we would pick up balls off the ground and slyly throw them at the boys. They would jump and dodge and show where they were struck, fully believing that they were shot. During the day, our friend that we had the little difficulty with a few days before shot himself in the toe and we have not seen or heard of him since.

      We lost many of our boys during these three days. We were struck with seven different balls, but the skin was not broken on us with any of them. About night, we moved off to the right and bivouacked for the night and then started the homeward march. We reached Hagerstown, Maryland without any special incident. Here we formed line of battle, threw up breastworks and waited for the Yankees, but they did not care to try us again just yet.

      It had been raining for some time and we left here just at nightfall after a very rainy day and had one of the worst night marches that any poor soldier ever had (we guess). The roads were very muddy and so many men and horses using them kept them worked into loblolley and made very bad walking. The weather was very hot and this added to the discomfort of the march.

    • On November 18, 2019 I received the confirmation below from the National Parks System about Laurister's service and death at Gettysburg. - DWM

      From: Heiser, John
      Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 9:56 AM
      To: David Marshall
      Subject: Re: From List of Confederate Soldiers Killed at Gettysburg

      Dear Mr. Marshall,

      3rd Sergeant Laurister L. Marshall, Company E, 53rd North Carolina Infantry was killed in action on July 2, 1863 at Gettysburg and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, North Carolina. His and the remains of 1st Sergeant William Adkins were buried near each other in a field owned by J. H. Culp near the Elizabeth Shultz house on Seminary Ridge west of town. Both graves were still marked in 1866 and each soldier's remains exhumed in 1871 for transport to Raleigh.

      At the time of Sergeant Marshall's death, the 53rd North Carolina was stationed in line on the west side of Gettysburg in support of the rest of General Robert Rodes' Division aligned to the south along Seminary Ridge. Though placed in a position of support that day, the regiment and brigade (Junius Daniel's) was subjected to artillery fire throughout the afternoon before being withdrawn that evening to support the July 3 attack on Culps' Hill, east of town.

      Sergeant Patterson?s description of the incident is somewhat misleading as it was an artillery shell, probably a rifled 10-pdr. shell, fired from a Union battery on west Cemetery Hill that killed the pair and severely wounded 5th Sergeant Daniel C. Reece of the same company. Reece was taken to a Confederate field hospital with the severe wound to his leg as well as an injury to his head. He subsequently fell into Union hands as a wounded prisoner and was hospitalized at Chester, Pennsylvania by mid-July. Sgt. Reece was paroled and exchanged that September.

      We hope this information will be useful for your research.


      John Heiser

      Historian, Division of Visitor Services & Education
      National Park Service
      Gettysburg National Military Park
      1195 Baltimore Pike, Suite 100
      Gettysburg, PA 17325

      (717) 338-4424

      On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 8:19 AM Lohman, Norma wrote:

      ---------- Forwarded message ---------
      Date: Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 9:57 PM
      Subject: From List of Confederate Soldiers Killed at Gettysburg

      Email submitted from: at /gett/contacts.htm

      Use to reply to this message

      Category: Information

      Mailing Address:
      David Marshall
      147 West Idlewood Cir.
      West Columbia, South Carolina 29170-2031
      United States

      Can you tell me if Laurister Lafayette Marshall is listed as killed at Gettysburg? I have a record from Historical Data Systems, Inc. that says he was and that he was mustered out (Killed) on July 2, 1862. I also have a document written by Orderly Sergeant Wiley Ebeneezer Patterson describing Laurister's death. (See Below) "While laying there, a ball came through the fence, knocked off the entire top of William Adkin's head, went through L.L. Marshall, knocked him up in the air, landing him some thirty or forty feet to the rear. This was the worst mangled body that we saw and we have seen many. The same ball struck D. C. Reece; took a slice out of the calf of his leg; tipped the heel of Isaac Whitakerâ??s shoe, scared Jake Jessup almost to death and went into the ground in about a foot of our head, literally covering us with dirt, gravel, blood and brains. We never did get the blood and brains off our hat and clothing until we wore them out."

    • The following information is from the website. - 11/2019 - DWM
      Laurister L Marshall
      in the U.S., Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861-1865

      Name: Laurister L Marshall
      Occupation: Farmer
      Age at Enlistment: 22
      Enlistment Date: 27 Mar 1862
      Rank at enlistment: Private
      State Served: North Carolina
      Survived the War?: No
      Service Record: Promoted to Full Sergeant on 02 Aug 1862.Enlisted in Company E, North Carolina 53rd Infantry Regiment on 30 Apr 1862.Promoted to Full Corporal. Mustered out on 02 Jul 1863 at Gettysburg, PA.
      Birth Date: abt 1840 (Actually born 3/15/1839 - DWM)
      Sources: North Carolina Troops 1861-65, A Roster

      Source Information
      Historical Data Systems, comp. U.S., Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861-1865 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2009.
      Original data: Data compiled by Historical Data Systems of Kingston, MA from the following list of works.
      Copyright 1997-2009
      Historical Data Systems, Inc.
      PO Box 35
      Duxbury, MA 02331.

      This database is a compilation of military records (including state rosters, pension records, and regimental histories) of individual soldiers who served in the United States Civil War.